· Guests Online: 5

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 372
· Newest Member: Dorathy Boulden

View Thread

Print Thread
Crack/Meth
brideofanaddict
This is my first ever post anywhere. I want to know why is it so hard to control the major drug problem in Union County? There are dope houses on virtually every corner. The Mini Inn - It is so obvious -why is it still in operation? Can that place not be shut down? I have never been a drug user, but now that I have been married to one for 2 years I am shocked at the number of people in this town who are addicts. You can take 15 people from different walks of life, get them hooked on either crack or meth and they all turn into the same person. They all lie, cheat, con, and steal. It is taking parents from children, children from parents, husbands from wives and vice versa. It is destroying numerous lives all over this city. It takes good, decent members of society and turns them all in to criminals. Is there nothing more that can be done?

Ken Jones
Welcome to our forums I was hoping someone would start this kind of discussion. I agree with everything you said, I have been saying some of the same things for years.

Two reasons make it a very difficult problem to overcome, MONEY and ADDICTION.

It seems that we never run out of drug dealers to arrest. Everyone always says, “why don’t you arrest the big drug dealers?” Well my answer is “we do, everyday” but someone will take their place within a week.
I operate the only jail in this county and it stays full to capacity eighty five percent of the time. Why does it stay full so much, you might ask, one word answer “drugs”.

We have devoted more resources than any other administration in the history of this county to fighting the problem but we don’t come close to having enough. What do we do? well I continue to try and find that answer each day.

Do we build a bigger jail? Do we hire more law enforcement officers, well that would be nice but I’m not sure we can build one big enough or put enough people on the payroll to fix the problem. Maybe ?

After all we have to build roads and bridges and pickup everyone’s trash and have fire departments and ambulance services, aren’t these things also important?

You tell me. You have stated the problem that I am more than familiar with, now tell me what your ideals are, and if you were in my shoes what more would you do to stop drugs in Union County.

Closing the borders of this country might be a start. After 911 I saw a dramatic decrease in the amount of drugs on the streets of El Dorado, Arkansas. Why? Because we closed the borders of this country off. This is not a problem just in Union County they are having the same problem in every community in this nation.

You tell me.

I plan on continuing to work as hard as I can at the answer and towards the problem.

jojoh
All you or I can do Sheriff is continue to fight the war against drugs with all you have. It is not our place to convict the offenders. They let them out, we put them back in. They will eventually get some hard time. Not saying our juditial system is bad. We have a great Judge. Yet, Judges have to go by the law. If a you (brideofanaddict) see this drug traffic going on, call the police dept. or Sheriff Dept. You don't have to give them any info. about yourself, just let them know what you saw. Drugs will always be a problem. As long as your have buyers you will have sellers.

LuLu
I was reading the editorial page in the news times a month or so ago, and Mike Dumas was stating if he is elected mayor he will work closely with the UCSO and EPD about the drug problem here in the county as well as the drug problems in the workforce. Well here’s my two cents the UCSO and EPD do a very good job of raiding houses that are selling and manufacturing drugs also catching the drug users in possession of drugs (I’m not saying things shouldn’t be improved) BUT I read in the paper all the time about someone convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison (I’m thinking good joCool but then the sentence was suspended (and I think what’s the point of the officers risking their lives and safety if the convicted drug user or seller just walks out of court on probation or whatever) I'm not saying that the judges are 100% wrong but I do think our system needs help, furthermore I believe that the prosecuting attorneys office needs the most help of all. Not prosecuting, dropping charges or cutting deals with 1st, 2nd, & 3rd time offenders and convicted felons to lower their charge for whatever reason these people probably should all ready be in JAIL. Instead of working only with the UCSO, EPD and businesses, someone (or group) should focus on helping and putting pressure on the prosecuting attorney’s office and not only about the drug problem we have but all cases.
Edited by LuLu on May 31 2006 05:25

Exodus
I honestly think it's about time we take the problem into our own hands. These people are hurting our families, our children, our city, our friends, and everything else around us.

I recently (last week) kicked my ex-fiance out of my house because she got involved in drugs like marijuana and ecstasy, as well as a prescription medication she was buying from a kid in Smackover. Also, I suspected her of snorting cocaine. I know the people she got it all from, and I'm looking for answers to the problem as well.

As long as we have the right to protect ourselves, nothing can stand in our way as Americans. I will fight and I will die for this cause. I will join the police force if necessary. Police work runs in my family. I am a law-abiding, hard-working citizen of this county and it came back to bite me on the ass. I'm tired of being pushed around by these criminals. I'm tired of being told where I can and cannot go after hours. Most of all, I'm tired of drugs and violence ruling my community. I say it's high time we fight back. Band together as brothers and sisters ALONG with our precious law-enforcement officers and say NO MORE!, rather than working against them.

heylove28
I moved from EL Dorado about 6 years ago. Not because of the drugs, although it is a problem. I recently came back to visit and i brought my 5 children with me. I can honestly say that I was scared to death of the place. My how much it has changed. I miss home so much and want to return, but the drugs and killings have made me shy away.

KristyGaffney
You know as a recovering addict i can sympathize with all these statements. Drugs ruined my life for over ten years. Now as a law abiding citizen i recognize how hard it is for others dealing with their loved ones and drugs. It is a continuos fight and i myself give everyday to the people out there trying to recover from addictions. I want so much for our community to be so much better. I know that the law enforcement do their best with what they have to work with. I wish their were more places for people with addictions to get help and maybe one day their will be. They are people with problems and I pray for them every single night. I know that the world is not what it used to be but all we can do is continue to fight for a better community and do what we are able to do to fight against the growing drug world. My advice to those who are dealing with people that are on drugs is to try to find them help either through treatment centers or AA and NA. There is a better life out there for them and I am living proof!!Wink
kristygaffney

TaxPayer1911
I have lived in many places being in the military for 12 years. I unhonestly don't believe El dorado drug problem is no different than any other city I have resided in. The problem I see in El dorado is a JOB problem. It took me months to find a decent job here in El dorado, plus I am college educated and have military experience. All the GOOD JOBS are passed down to people who have worked for the company for 20 years son who just graduated high school and don't want to go to college. I now work at one of these places and I never see people who actually will give you a 110% cause they need the job. I have met a few drug dealers in this area and I have asked why they continue to do what they do, and most not all said they can't find a GOOD JOB. I say locking everybody up for being envolved in drugs has proven its not the answer. How about kicking the Chamber of Commerce in the butt on getting jobs in here to boost our local economy, and assembling all the HRO people at the GOOD JOBS and just ask them to not to be so bias and try to hire some of the people who has had trouble in the past.Smile

Ken Jones
KristyGaffney wrote:
You know as a recovering addict i can sympathize with all these statements. Drugs ruined my life for over ten years. Now as a law abiding citizen i recognize how hard it is for others dealing with their loved ones and drugs. It is a continuos fight and i myself give everyday to the people out there trying to recover from addictions. I want so much for our community to be so much better. I know that the law enforcement do their best with what they have to work with. I wish their were more places for people with addictions to get help and maybe one day their will be. They are people with problems and I pray for them every single night. I know that the world is not what it used to be but all we can do is continue to fight for a better community and do what we are able to do to fight against the growing drug world. My advice to those who are dealing with people that are on drugs is to try to find them help either through treatment centers or AA and NA. There is a better life out there for them and I am living proof!!Wink

This is a very good post and I agree. Thank you for your positive comments. I feel as Sheriff I have tried to separate the true drug dealer from the drug addict as I know I have personally put as many people in rehab as I have prison.

Locking drug addicts up is not the answer, treatment is. Locking up drug dealers most certainly needs to happen.

Sometimes the Criminal Justice System fails to see the difference but has taken steps as in Drug Courts and recovery programs to try and separate the two.

Jump to Forum:
Render time: 0.36 seconds
4,582,154 unique visits